Thursday, July 10, 2008

Ding 50!

Our guild hit another leveling milestone! We ran a status contest for a few days, with the winner who generated the most status in that time period would win the shinies needed for a no-drop furniture item. It was a level 80 quest, so good experience for the turn-in as well. Out of our 60 members, 5 signed up. Initially, I was disappointed at the low turn-out but it was amazing what a small group could accomplish. We gained two and half levels during that time. They were all winners to me, so I harvested enough shinies for them all.

But it also made me realize something else. I don't know the majority of members anymore. We grew from 25 active members to 60 in about three weeks. It's become routine when someone logs in, my husband turns to me and says "Who's that?" The majority of the time I reply "I don't know."

When we started this, we thought it would remain just us and a few friends and never imagined that we would have to actually remove ourselves from the recruiting tab. But we did. I've seen guilds explode before due to sudden growth and am trying to avoid people feeling like numbers rather than members. It's a good and a bad thing. It's great that we're doing this well but we really hate having to turn people away and maybe miss out on some great folks. I'm sure there will be some that will move on and we can re-open our doors at some point. But for now we need to get to know the ones we have.

And I still can't wait for those Guild Halls!

4 comments:

Elementalistly said...

I saw a discussion on the Guild Halls. They also discussed the Skeletal Revamps too.

During that discussion, Mulder told Scully that he believed in them, he knew they were there.
Scully was still a skeptic though...

Darn that Scully!

Thallian said...

Grats on 50 and grats on the guild Aspen! :) I recommend doing your best to spend time with each guild member so you get to know them, maybe run a dungeon or something if you can. That helped me get to know 130 people in my guild in wow way back when even with frequent 5% turn over.

Anonymous said...

I've been enjoying reading your blog. It seems I've come late to the EQ2 party but am having the time of my life just the same. In hindsight I wish I would have picked up EQ2 instead of WoW all those years ago. This game is definitely more my speed. My wife and all my friends are still playing WoW, and I still log in there occasionally to run an instance or help my wife out, but my heart and mind are really in Norrath now. We've got a 10 month old son, so I can really relate to your AFKs. I'm guildless for now, and may stay that way for a while. I just want to get a good feel for the game and take things at my own pace.

Sorry to ramble. Just wanted to say hello and let you know what a nice blog you have here.

Take care,

Childermass

Aspendawn said...

lol @ Openedge1 but the truth is out there and the halls are coming!

Thanks Thallian! We don't do dungeons in EQ2. Just don't have the 3 hour stretches they require. I really miss the 45 minute LDON's we used to be able to do in EQ1. But fortunately we have a great officer who leads dungeon runs for those that can do them. I'm a frequent afk'er as are much of the guild so we have to do things in small increments of time.

Childermass - Great to meet you and thank you for the kind words. If you find yourself on Lucan D'Lere, please say hello to Aspendawn or Kirielle. Always happy to help newer players find their way in Norrath.